It is citrus season here in Texas, folks! Right now I am all about citrus — and nothing to me sounds better than coming in from the heat and enjoying a refreshing salad.
I decided to use my salad as a side to some beef patties I made for dinner, but you can definitely find a way to incorporate some protein in it if you’re looking for a one-stop meal kind of thing. Some cubed up chicken or some shrimp would go nicely.
The following amounts will yield 2 servings.
- 1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium orange, peeled & segmented
- 1/2 large grapefruit, peeled & segmented
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 1 tsp. fresh mint, finely chopped
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 2 tbsp. fresh orange juice
- 1 tbsp. fresh grapefruit juice
- 3 tbsp. EV olive oil
- pinch of Himalayan pink salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Combine the fennel, red onion, orange, grapefruit, avocado & mint in a bowl.
- Whisk the orange juice, grapefruit juice, olive oil, salt & pepper in a small bowl until it is well blended.
- Add the dressing to the salad ingredients and toss gently.
- Divide the spinach onto two plates, and top with the salad.