The other day Jason and I visited The Cheesecake Factory and I had…you guessed it…cheesecake! But that’s not all. Despite how incredible their cheesecake is — the real highlight of my lunch was a kale salad.
It was so incredibly refreshing and seemed so simple…but the textures and flavors were just spot on. I really enjoyed it. I decided to use it as inspiration to create a version of my own. Hope you love this salad as much as I do!
This salad does contain dairy. For the dressing I use a combination of grassfed yogurt & milk. While the flavors will change slightly, you can definitely sub coconut milk/yogurt for this dressing.
The following amounts will yield 3-4 servings.
Ingredients for Dressing
- 1/4 cup grassfed Greek yogurt (my favorite is from Kalona Supernatural)
- 1 tbsp. mayonnaise (homemade or your favorite brand)
- 1 tbsp. grassfed whole milk (my favorite is from Kalona Supernatural)
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. white vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. onion powder
Ingredients for Salad
- 6 oz. (3-4 cups) kale, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 medium green apple, diced
- 6 oz. (1 cup) green beans, chopped in 1″ pieces
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Whisk together all the ingredients for your dressing. Cover and refrigerate until the rest of the salad is ready.
- Fill a sauce pot with a few inches of water and place a steamer basket on top. Bring the water to a boil, and steam your green beans for about 5-8 minutes or until they are crisp-tender. Once they are done remove them from the heat and run cold water over them. If your green beans are whole I would suggest steaming them first, and then chopping them up. Fresh is really best here, but if you’d like to use pre-cut frozen green beans that will work, too. Set them aside to cool slightly. You can toast your almonds over low heat while you let the green beans cool.
- Combine all salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- Top with prepared dressing, and toss well making sure that the dressing gets well incorporated.
- Eat immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.