Haha you read that right! Being a South-Texas native who recently moved to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania — I can tell you — I want Winter to stop! This every other day wintery mix or snow is a real pain in the butt. For now I am going to enjoy this tasty slaw and cross my fingers that Spring is well on its way.
This coleslaw is a bit different than your typical recipe. I decided to throw in some radishes for color (and more Spring flare), along with some jalapeno. My fiancé, Jason, seems to want jalapenos at every meal so there ya go. I told you we are from Texas!
Just a tip — as with any coleslaw — this really tastes better once it has been sitting with the dressing for a while. My advice is to make it ahead of time and keep it covered up in the refrigerator. When you allow it to sit before eating — not only does it taste better, but it’s a little easier on the jaw when you’re chewing! If you have a small bird jaw like me — you understand.
Ingredients for Slaw
- 3 cups green cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 cup carrots, grated
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 5 radishes, julienned
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and julienned
Ingredients for Dressing
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (I like to make my own, but if store-purchased I use Sir Kensingtons)
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp. raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. raw honey
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- pinch of salt
- Combine all the slaw ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl whisk the dressing ingredients together until they are well blended.
- Pour the dressing over the slaw ingredients and fold it in gently.
- Continue to fold the dressing in until everything is well coated. Store covered in the refrigerator.