Spring is here! I say that, but as I am here typing it is cold and rainy outside. Geez. What are you up to mother nature? You’ve got us all confused. At any rate, strawberries are readily available at the market and they look beautiful.
So what do you like to do with them? I love throwing them in smoothies. I also enjoy tossing them with some mint and lime juice for a sweet treat. I did something different with them a few mornings ago and wanted to share it with you today. All around the web folks are enjoying their toast with avocado. Why not throw some strawberries in the mix?
Let’s Talk about Bread
For this recipe I utilized some leftover slices of bread I had from making some homemade bread. The bread I made was from the cookbook by the folks at Health-Bent, “Primal Cravings.” Their bread is easy to make, cheap to make, and is nut-free. Their bread is a mixture of tapioca flour, potato starch, and coconut flour. For this toast you could use any gluten-free or “paleo” version of bread. There are plenty of gluten-free brands in the stores nowadays, but I opt for making my own. Some of the gluten-free brands have other not-so-desirable ingredients. I don’t typically like to bake with a lot of nut-meals or nut-flours, but if you tolerate nuts then I recommend this World-Famous Sandwich Bread from Against All Grain. This bread rises very well, and has great flavor. It definitely suits any craving you may have for a good ol’ sandwich.
For some extra creaminess and flavor I have included some organic full-fat cream cheese in this recipe. You can absolutely leave it out if you don’t tolerate dairy very well.
The following amounts will yield 2-4 servings.
- 4 slices of bread, (gluten-free & grain-free) homemade or purchased
- 1 avocado
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- dash of salt
- 2 oz. cream cheese, (organic/full-fat & grassfed preferred)
- 4 large organic strawberries
- Toast your bread slices by your favorite method. Since we pretty much never eat bread we do not own a toaster. I use a foil-lined sheet pan and my broiler.
- Meanwhile, mash the avocado in a small bowl with salt and lemon juice.
- Stir in the cream cheese until well incorporated.
- Make sure to rinse your strawberries well, especially if you do not opt to buy organic. Then, remove the tops and thinly slice.
- Generously spread the avocado & cream cheese mixture over each slice of toast.
- Top each slice of toast with a layer of sliced strawberries.