Here I have been…living in the paleo world for two years…and never experienced pure coconut wraps! Well, thanks to my February pen pal, Arlene, I have found a new favorite.
I met Arlene through a group called Paleo Pen Pals. Make sure to visit their facebook page and sign up! Now is a great time because the program has changed up a bit — it is now geared up to fulfill assignments on a month to month basis. That means you can try it out, and if you don’t want to continue (which I doubt you’d want to stop) you can just not sign up the following month! You know what else? Let’s face it — you don’t have to be the most strict in a paleo lifestyle — maybe you haven’t decided that paleo is the way you want to go…doesn’t matter! You can sign up anyway. If you love to cook, come up with recipes, and meet new people then you should do it!
Now, back to these wraps. They really are super handy. I will tell you right here and now, and I know I’ve mentioned it before, my weakness is mexican food. Growing up in South Texas definitely instilled some “tortilla-using-scooping-loving” capabilities and I just can’t help it! After going grain-free I don’t find myself missing bread…but tortillas? Yes. Well, these wraps are a great substitution. They currently come in two flavors – original and curry. What are they exactly? They are wraps made from coconut meat, coconut water, and salt. That’s it. Not only is their ingredient list super clean, but as all of us paleo folk know — coconut is oh so good for you. Tortilla substitution that won’t leave me feeling bloated and guilty?…enter Jennifer. 🙂
Arlene sent me the curry variety; I figured I’d keep it simple and stick with what tortillas are best for — tacos!
- 1 pkg of curry flavored Pure Wraps (there are 4 in each)
- 1 lb. boneless/skinless chicken thighs, sliced
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 c. coconut milk
- 2 tsp. curry powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 1/8 tsp. ground ginger
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 c. purple cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 c. cilantro, chopped
- 1 c. cucumber, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Heat coconut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken – season with salt and pepper to your liking. Stir frequently until all sides are browned – around 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk coconut milk and all seasonings together in a small bowl. Turn heat down to medium and add coconut milk mixture along with your garlic. Allow your chicken to simmer for 8-10 minutes — you want the coconut milk to thicken up.
- While waiting on your chicken – toss the cabbage, cilantro and cucumber with the lime juice and olive oil.
- To serve – lay out a pure coconut curry wrap and top with a generous amount of cabbage slaw. Spoon your curry chicken over the slaw and wrap it up!