I am a bad blogger. I don’t blog enough. Am I just lazy? Yeah, probably. No, no, really it’s in an effort to take on less. I like to dictate how much free time I have and lately I want all of my free time to go to laying on the couch with my big fat cat on my chest whilst I watch Hell on Wheels on Netflix. I will be better. In fact, I made a decision to blog about my Whole 30 which actually starts today. Don’t laugh at me… every time I blog I say, “I’m going to be better!…I am taking this healthy eating thing seriously from now on!” Haha! No, but really. I vowed to do a Whole 30 not long ago, but with celebrations and this new laid back attitude I have taken on a few paleo-ified treats have snuck their way in. I do; however, recognize the benefit of lasting a whole month.
Why am I going to blog about it? Well, while it may take more effort on my part and take precious time away from lounging with my Crit — I think it will keep me compliant. If I know that I have to tell you what the hell I am eating…well, I’ll keep it straight. I will warn you in advance that it may be a bit boring — as my cooking endeavours have become incredibly simplistic, but if you’re anything like me you’ll appreciate the information. As I mentioned to Tarah over @ What I Gather — there’s something super satisfying about hearing what other folks are eating. She has been blogging every single day of her Whole 30 and I gotta say — I’ve read every single one of them. Hah! There is something completely natural about comparing yourself to others in every sense…haha even comparing what goes into their bellies. In a good way of course…good inspiration. I’m nosey, what of it?
Well, now’s the perfect time. Jason is the biggest instigator! I will come home from a stressful day at work and he’ll mention he would love to have some chocolate chip cookies (the paleo variety of course.) How can I say no? How can a woman who has had a bad day at work and who loves dark chocolate…freakin’ say no? Jason has promised me. He doesn’t break promises — his Whole 30 starts today as well. He better damn well do it if he knows what’s good for him.
Made an awesome salad for my dinner at work yesterday. Check it out!!
Ingredients for Salad
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 lb. shrimp, peeled & deveined
- 1 medium fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- handful of grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1/2 a red onion, thinly sliced
- 6 oz. spinach
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for Dressing
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 3 tbsp. EV olive oil
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- Combine shrimp with salt, pepper, garlic and cumin in a bowl. Set aside.
- Cook bacon slices in a large skillet over medium heat. Once they are crispy remove from heat and let them drain on paper towels. Reserve the bacon fat!
- Add shrimp to skillet and stir frequently — cook about 3 minutes or until shrimp are fully cooked. Remove from heat and let them cool a bit before adding them to your salad.
- Combine all salad ingredients in a large bowl — crumble bacon in with the spinach, tomatoes, fennel, and red onion.
- Whisk dressing ingredients together until well blended.
- Add shrimp and dressing to salad. Toss well and serve!